Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Deeply caring" for sheep, Jay-Z, public shaming and other seminar hilarities.

In seminar Corbin said "Wordsridge" or "Colsworth" or something. Anyway, he combined Coleridge and Wordsworth accidentally. So I wrote him a note that said "You should do a Grey Album thing where you mix Wordsworth and Coleridge... and Jay-Z." When I got my note back, Corbin had scrawled:

"If you're having girl problems/I feel bad for you son/I got 99 problems/The child is the father of the man."

I started to cry trying not to laugh out loud. That was the first of two times I tried not to cry in seminar that day. The second one was not as fun. Although, the second time, I could see Corbin mouthing "OH MY GOD I'M SORRY THAT IS SO MEAN" in my peripheral vision and it did make me feel better.

Thank goodness for Corbin!

Creepily,
Lily

January 28th Update (because two posts would seriously just be too stalkery):

"Allen Ginsberg was a boy fucker. There. I said it."
"Jack Kerouac just took a lot of Dramamine and thought he was a genius."
"If all the 1950s era American poets fought, who do you think would win? I say Elizabeth Bishop."

When I said, "1950s? Give me names." Corbin replied, "The Beats, Elizabeth Bishop, Robert Lowell and those poets you like." I thought "those poets I like" counted more as 1960s. But if not: Anne Sexton could totally take Elizabeth Bishop.

No comments: